Leica Geosystems announces a major update to Cyclone II TOPO, version 2.0 at SPAR 2011 International conference from 21 to 24 March. The new version automates the previously time-consuming process of creating accurate ground surfaces (TINs or meshes) from rich High-Definition Survey™ (HDS™) point clouds. Now, users can create these surfaces in minutes instead of hours or even days.
3D laser scanners can rapidly survey sites with extraordinary detail. However, extracting accurate, file efficient ground surface representations from laser scan data has long been challenging and time-consuming. Cyclone II TOPO v2.0 revolutionizes this important task by automating the removal of all scan data except ground points and by enabling users to easily create accurate surfaces of minimal file size from these ground points.
Best office performance in the industry
A combination of features in Cyclone II TOPO v2.0 makes it the most efficient tool for extracting accurate, file efficient ground surfaces from rich, laser scan data:
– Automatic removal of scan points not on the ground surface, e.g. scan points from vegetation, buildings, vehicles, people, etc.
– Ability to work with billions of scan points at once
– Adjustable parameters to account for steep hilly areas with vertical drops, walls, etc.
– One button operation for scan point removal
– Extraneous scan point removal within seconds to minutes
– Retains high density in areas of rapid change, e.g. curbs
– Option to describe break-lines with infinitely sharp edges
– Option to create regularly spaced, gridded points for traditional deliverables
– Minimizes the number of mesh points used in flat areas or areas of less interest
– Preview of mesh boundaries that are intelligent, e.g. don’t span exterior “bays” (common in many CAD meshing systems)
– Heals mesh holes with a simple pick or button push
Glowing user feedback
“Cyclone TOPO II v1.0 software already delivered huge value to us because of its simple user interface. Anyone with CAD or computer skills can generate survey deliverables from point clouds with little or no training needed. The introduction in Cyclone II TOPO v2.10 of automatic point cloud clean up and great meshing capability makes this product a real powerhouse for dealing with point cloud data,” says Jody Lounsbury,PLS, 3D Laser Scanning Practice Leader for CHA, a highly diversified, full service engineering, planning and surveying firm with over 725 professionals throughout the US.
Plug-and-play with standard mapping workflows
Cyclone II TOPO v2.0 is plug-and-play into standard survey deliverable workflows. With the addition of DXF and fully described LandXML export, the new TIN mesh capabilities support the most common exchange formats, thus allowing easy integration with the most common mapping software applications such as Autodesk Civil 3D, Carlson, MX, Covadis, etc.
New alignment-style cross section positioning
Cyclone II TOPO’s unique and popular vertical cross section capability has been enhanced. In v1.0 users could view a cross section slice of the ground and apply vertical exaggeration to the point cloud. In v2.0, the cross section feature can be configured to follow polylines on the ground. This enables alignment-style control of cross section positioning, letting users advance the cross section down an alignment of a roadway while feature coding the curbs, crown, flow-line, etc.
Pricing and Availability
Pricing is available from authorized Leica Geosystems representatives. Leica Cyclone II TOPO v2.0 software is immediately available.
Leica Geosystems – when it has to be right
With close to 200 years of pioneering solutions to measure the world, Leica Geosystems products and services are trusted by professionals worldwide to help them capture, analyze, and present spatial information. Leica Geosystems is best known for its broad array of products that capture accurately, model quickly, analyze easily, and visualize and present spatial information.
product:Leica Cyclone II Topo v2.0.188